WATERLOO & SEAFORTH WAR MEMORIAL

The Five Lamps, Crosby Road North, Waterloo, Sefton L22 1RD

Waterloo & Seaforth’s War Memorial is situated on the corner of Crosby Road North and Great George’s Road. The memorial is known as the ‘Five Lamps’. Listed upon the memorial are the names of 431 Service men and three women who gave their lives in The Great War.

The Memorial

Atop the memorial stands a bronze winged figure representing “Victory bringing Peace”. The figure holds a laurel wreath in the right hand and a palm branch in the left, and stands on a small globe.

The designer Mr. F. W. Doyle Jones, R.B.S, exhibited the figure at the Royal Academy in 1919. The figure is surmounting a tall square pedestal of Darley Dale stone standing on three stone steps. One of the pedestal faces has a regimental crest in high relief. The names of the fallen are listed below the crest and on the other pedestal faces. The memorial commemorates the fallen Service men and women in both World Wars and subsequent conflicts. The memorial is surrounded by three lamp posts, one with one lamp, and the other two with two lamps – five lamps in total.

A War Memorial Committee was duly appointed after meeting on 1st March 1919 at Waterloo Town Hall. Public subscription was used to raise funds, and the committee posted circulars and contacted over 4000 residents from Waterloo & Seaforth inviting donations for a suitable memorial. At the end of September 1919, £579 had been raised, and a benefactor list including funds was published in the Crosby Herald. However, further subscriptions were needed, and the committee continued to raise funds to meet the estimated costs.

Unveiling Ceremony

On Saturday 29th October 1921, the unveiling ceremony started at Waterloo Town Hall with the hymn “How Bright these Glorious Sprits Shine”. Rev. Canon T. K. Dickson started with a reading “Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends” and the Lord’s Prayer followed. Rev. W. Marshman Spencer read Psalm 46 and Rev. G.A Brock read a lesson; Rev. Canon S.J. Sykes led the prayers.

The Memorial Service started at 3.30pm with the hymn “O God our help in ages past”. Mr. Bamber Baron, J.P., Chairman of the U.D.C asked Lieut. Col. A. Buckley, D.S.O., M.P to unveil the Memorial. Rev. The Hon. S. H. Phillimore, M.C., Chaplain, H.M. Forces read a dedication. The Guard of Honour presented arms and the “Last Post” was sounded and silence kept with wreaths placed at the memorial base. On behalf of the War Memorial Committee Mr. E.P. Pearson requested the chairman of the Urban District Council receive the memorial into their care and the ceremony finished with the hymn “For all the saints who from their labours rest”

On Sunday 19th May 1996 a service of rededication took place with the addition of the names of the Second World War casualties and subsequent conflicts. The Service was conducted by The Reverend Ray Hutchinson, Vicar of Christ Church, Mgr. George Mooney, SS Peter and Paul, Dr John Smith, Free Church and Chaplain John White, RNR.


Inscription

Our/ glorious dead/ who fell/ in the great war/ 1914-1919/ their name liveth/ for evermore/ and those who followed/ 1939-1945/ we will remember them


Read the names of the fallen

Newspaper article featuring Waterloo War Memorial Crosby Herald 05/11/ 1921

Caption to be added...

Caption to be added...

Newspaper article featuring Waterloo War Memorial Crosby Herald 27/11/ 1920


Images used on sample design accredited to:Photographs on Sefton Looking Back https://www.sefton-digital-archive.org/