SOUTHPORT WAR MEMORIAL

London Square, Lord Street, Southport PR8 1AB

Southport’s War Memorial is located in the London Square Memorial Garden, on Lord Street. Listed upon the memorial are the names of 1247 Service men and three women, who gave their lives in The Great War.

The Memorial

Southport’s War Memorial in London Square is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II* listed building.

The material used for construction was Portland stone, and the structure consists of two colonnades and a central obelisk. Each colonnade has one small chapel at each end, and memorial gardens surround the colonnades, which contain Remembrance fountains and pools. Names of the fallen appear for World War One on the chapel walls, and panels have been added to the inside of the colonnades for World War Two and subsequent conflicts.

Public subscription for the Southport war memorial, to extend the hospital, and to provide grants for bereaved children was established after a meeting on 14th February 1919. A War Memorial Committee was formed to raise the money. A total of £31,854 was raised, and a competition was launched for the memorial’s design. Sir Reginald Blomfield R.A. was appointed as adviser and assessor for the competition and the design entries were exhibited at Southport Art Gallery. Sir Reginald announced the first prize to Messrs Grayson and Barnish, based at the Royal Liver Building, Liverpool. After a second set of tenders Messrs W. Moss and Sons of Loughborough, Liverpool and London were commissioned as main contractors. Mr Herbert Tyson Smith, a sculptor from Liverpool was commissioned for the carving of inscriptions and 1133 names on the Roll of Honour.

Unveiling Ceremony

On November 18th 1923, an official procession began at the Town Hall, passed the Art Gallery and went via Eastbank Street, Chapel Street and London Street, arriving at London Square. The National Anthem was followed by the Mayor’s speech (Mr. Alderman Aveling J.P) before the General Salute was sounded. The Colours, having been inscribed on several inbuilt cenotaphs included the Royal Navy, The King’s (Liverpool) Regiment and the Royal Army Service Corps. The children of those who laid down their lives unveiled the cenotaphs to the sound of the General Salute.

Witness chaplains made their declarations from the Anglican, Roman Catholic, Free Church and Jewish faiths. At the obelisk Lord Derby spoke to honour the fallen and the corporate care of the sick in the Infirmary Extension. “The Last Post” was sounded and the armed party fired three volleys. The Mayor then spoke and this was followed by “Reveille”. The Mayor’s Chaplain followed with a prayer; then the Mayor spoke before the hymn “Our God, Our Help in Ages Past” was sung. The Mayor and members of the procession placed wreaths at the foot of the Obelisk.

The Mayor, Lord Derby and the War Memorial Committee then proceeded to the Town Hall and continued to the Hospital Infirmary to unlock the Memorial Ward. On 28th October 1956, Lord Derby unveiled the Plaque, Book of Remembrance and Fountains to honour the fallen from the Second World War.

On Sunday 6th June 1992, a Roll of Honour containing 567 names of servicemen and women from the Second World War and subsequent conflicts was unveiled. The Order of Service for 1923 and 1956 can be viewed at Sefton Libraries Information Services Unit at Crosby Library.


Inscription

The Central Obelisk Inscription: “Look Upward Standing Mute Salute” additional inscriptions are on the both sides of the Obelisk with further inscriptions on both Colonnades


Read the names of the fallen

Caption to be added...

Southport War Memorial, view from Lord Street.


Images used on sample design accredited to:Photographs on Sefton Looking Back https://www.sefton-digital-archive.org/