SEFTON VILLAGE WAR MEMORIAL

Bridges Lane/Brick Wall Lane and Lunt Road

Sefton Village’s War Memorial is located on a junction with Bridges Lane/Brick Wall Lane and Lunt Road, Sefton Village. Listed upon the memorial are the names of 26 heroic Service men, who gave their lives in The Great War.

The Memorial

Sefton War Memorial is situated opposite Sefton Parish Church. A small figure of Christ under a canopy is set on a tapering shaft and small square plinth, on four octagonal steps.

The base on which the shaft sits incorporates ancient stone from the original village cross. The Memorial lists twenty-six names form World War One on the base, and twenty-five names from the Second World War, with an inscription.

Unveiling Ceremony

The Memorial was unveiled on Sunday, 28th November 1920. After the morning service a large congregation was present to witness the Countess of Sefton unveiling the Memorial; the Bishop of Liverpool providing the dedication. The Sixth Earl and Countess of Sefton lost their son, Midshipman Cecil Richard Molyneux, aged 16, at the Battle of Jutland.

His name is recorded with the fallen of Sefton on the Memorial Cross. The ceremony concluded with the sounding of the “The Last Post”.


Inscription

ROLL OF HONOUR GREAT WAR 1914 - 1919 INSCRIBED BY SEFTON PARISH COUNCIL 2011. ROLL OF HONOUR 1939 - 1945 INSCRIBED BY SEFTON PARISH COUNCIL 2011.


Read the names of the fallen

The memorial was unveiled on Sunday 28th November 1920 and is situated opposite Sefton Parish Church. This photograph was taken in the 1920s.


Images used on sample design accredited to:Photographs on Sefton Looking Back https://www.sefton-digital-archive.org/