INCE BLUNDELL WAR MEMORIAL

Back O’ the Town Lane, Ince Blundell, Sefton L38 6JJ

Listed upon the memorial are the names of 10 Service men who gave their lives in The Great War.

The Memorial

Originally a drinking fountain with canopy and surmounting Cross, the memorial tablet in white marble is mounted on the wall outside the former Ince Blundell School, which is now a private residence.

Below the cross is an angel holding a scroll showing the words “Pro Fide Et Patria” (For faith and country). The tablet lists the ten names of the fallen from the World War One, and three names from World War Two.

Unveiling Ceremony

The Memorial was unveiled on Sunday 6th July 1919. Present were Father O’Shea, dignitaries, members of Sefton Rural District Council, relatives and friends of the fallen, and community members. Father O’Shea blessed the Memorial and said prayers for the departed, the band played the hymn “Faith of our Fathers”.

Captain Blundell then gave a moving address to honour the sacrifice and memory of the fallen. The ceremony concluded with the band playing Elgar’s “Land of Hope and Glory” and the National Anthem.


Inscription

WHOSOEVER SHALL GIVE A DRINK TO ONE... / ERECTED BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION TO REMEMBER/THE MEN OF INCE BLUNDELL, WHO SERVED IN THE / GREAT EUROPEAN WAR, A.D.1914 TO A.D.1918 / THE FOLLOWING LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES. / (Names) / REQUIESCANT IN PACE. AMEN.


Read the names of the fallen

Caption to be added...


Images used on sample design accredited to:Photographs on Sefton Looking Back https://www.sefton-digital-archive.org/