HIGHTOWN WAR MEMORIAL

The Green, Highway Roundabout, Hightown, Sefton L38 0BD

Hightown’s War Memorial is located on The Green, Highway Roundabout. Listed upon the memorial are the names of 10 heroic Service men, who gave their lives in The Great War.

The Memorial

The Memorial is situated on The Green at the Highway Roundabout. The Stone kneeling winged angel holding a wreath is constructed of Bath Stone surmounting a Dutch brick obelisk, and represents “Victory and Peace”.

Below the angel, a stone carved cross, shield and steel helmets appear on the front obelisk face. Mr Trenwith Wells designed the memorial, and George Herbert Tyson Smith was the sculptor. The names of the fallen of the First World War are listed on the left and right faces, and the rear face lists the names from the Second World War.

The first meeting of the Memorial Committee was held in March 1918, when it was resolved to erect a suitable memorial to the fallen men of Hightown.

Unveiling Ceremony

On the 11th November 1920, the Hightown Memorial was unveiled. Present at the ceremony were members of Great Crosby Council, local clergy, relations of the fallen and community members.

A two minute silence was observed after a Scottish soldier played the “Pipers Lament” on the bagpipes. Mr T. H. Russell J.P., chairman of Great Crosby Council, unveiled the memorial and gave a moving speech. Children came forward to place wreaths at the base of the memorial, and the ceremony concluded with the sounding of ‘The Last Post’.


Inscription

Front face: “THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE1914-1919”Names of the fallen right face and left face, names of the fallen on the rear face from Second World War 1939-1945


Read the names of the fallen

The Memorial was unveiled on the 11th November 1920, and is situated on the Green Highway Roundabout. This photograph was taken in the 1960s.


Images used on sample design accredited to:Photographs on Sefton Looking Back https://www.sefton-digital-archive.org/